- 2004: Senator John F. Kerry defeated Governor Howard B. Dean III, General Wesley K. Clark, Senator John Edwards, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich and Civil Rights Activist Al Sharpton.
- 2000: Vice President Albert A. Gore Jr. defeated Senator William W. "Bill" Bradley
- 1996: President William J. "Bill" Clinton (no serious opposition)
- 1992: Senator Paul E. Tsongas defeated Governor William J. "Bill" Clinton, Senator J. Robert "Bob" Kerrey, Senator Thomas R. "Tom" Harkin, and Governor Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown, Jr.
- 1988: Governor Michael S. Dukakis defeated Congressman Richard A. "Dick" Gephardt, Senator Paul M. Simon, Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, and Senator Albert A. Gore, Jr.
- 1984: Senator Gary W. Hart defeated Vice President Walter F. "Fritz" Mondale, Senator John H. Glenn, Jr., Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, and Senator George S. McGovern
- 1980: President James E. "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. defeated Senator Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy and Governor Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown, Jr.
- 1976: Governor James E. "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. defeated Congressman Morris K. "Mo" Udall, Senator Birch Evans Bayh II, Senator Fred R. Harris, and Ambassador R. Sargent Shriver
- 1972: Senator Edmund S. Muskie defeated Senator George S. McGovern and Mayor Samuel William "Sam" Yorty
- 1968: President Lyndon B. Johnson defeated Senator Eugene J. "Gene" McCarthy
- 1964: President Lyndon B. Johnson (no serious opposition)
- 1960: Senator John F. Kennedy (no serious opposition)
- 1956: Senator C. Estes Kefauver defeated Governor Adlai E. Stevenson II
- 1952: Senator C. Estes Kefauver defeated President Harry S. Truman
- 2004: President George W. Bush (no serious opposition)
- 2000: Senator John S. McCain defeated Governor George W. Bush, Malcolm S. "Steve" Forbes, Jr., Ambassador Alan Keyes, and Gary L. Bauer
- 1996: Patrick J. "Pat" Buchanan defeated Senator Robert J. "Bob" Dole, Governor A. Lamar Alexander, Malcolm S. "Steve" Forbes, Jr., Senator Richard G. "Dick" Lugar, and Ambassador Alan Keyes
- 1992: President George H. W. Bush defeated Patrick J. "Pat" Buchanan
- 1988: Vice President George H. W. Bush defeated Senator Robert J. "Bob" Dole, Congressman Jack F. Kemp, Jr., Governor Pierre S. "Pete" du Pont IV, and Reverend Marion G. "Pat" Robertson
- 1984: President Ronald W. Reagan (no serious opposition)
- 1980: Governor Ronald W. Reagan defeated Ambassador George H. W. Bush, Senator Howard H. Baker, Jr., Congressman John B. Anderson, and Congressman Philip M. "Phil" Crane
- 1976: President Gerald R. Ford defeated Governor Ronald W. Reagan
- 1972: President Richard M. Nixon defeated Congressman Paul N. "Pete" McCloskey, Jr. and Congressman John M. Ashbrook
- 1968: Vice President Richard M. Nixon defeated Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller
- 1964: Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. defeated Senator Barry M. Goldwater, Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, and Vice President Richard M. Nixon
- 1960: Vice President Richard M. Nixon (no serious opposition)
- 1956: President Dwight D. Eisenhower (no serious opposition)
- 1952: General Dwight D. Eisenhower defeated Senator Robert A. Taft and Governor Harold E. Stassen